Monday, October 16, 2006

One week and 2 days later

The weekend was hectic because of the wedding but the pups still did quite well. I had Lila in my lap several times during the weekend. She willingly jumped up on the couch and laid down next to me. They continue to get better about going outside and coming back in without being afraid to go past us when we hold open the door. Their recall is even coming along quite well. The wind storms we had last week broke several of the stakes we had for the temporary fence so the dogs have been able to wander around the larger fenced area. They happily come running to the back door when we call them. Of course when they do come back to us we make a big deal about it and give them cookies. We want to make sure their confidence with us is pretty high before we brave taking them for a walk. I know the first time we do go out there into the big scary world I will have a whole bucket load of treats for them in order to encourage them to stick with us.

The hubster and I are really enjoying having them with us. The other dogs have adapted well and as long as everyone gets even amounts of love there is peace in the world.

We continue to let them out about every 1-2 hours. And only 1 accident this weekend that we know of. Yeah for the puppies!

The hubster wants to change Lila to Lily. We know her foster mom called her Lilliana at times so we think she will adapt to the change. Caleb will stay Caleb. We had name tags made for them to celebrate them being with us for a week. Lily gets a red heart and Caleb a blue bone.

Lily continues to collect shoes during the day. The hubster came walking in to the kitchen at one point with only one shoe on. He said, so, I found this one in Lily’s bed, do you know where it originated so I can find the other one? I laughed so hard at him. He always gets up after me so when he came down in the morning and asked how things have been going so far I say “Good, so far we have added a sneaker, a running shoe, a boot, a sandal, a sock, a washcloth, and a towel.” He then asks Lily all about her little “babies” that she collected. If you could only see what my living room floor looks like.

Caleb continues to be more timid but it’s been only a week. He really “wants” to be brave and cuddly but I think anxiety overcomes him. He can push his way frantically in the fur pile to get love. But other times he scampers into his kennel and hides. I just enjoy every time he puts his front paws up on my knee and asks for some love. He’ll get there, we know he will.

1 comment:

Tink said...

“Good, so far we have added a sneaker, a running shoe, a boot, a sandal, a sock, a washcloth, and a towel.” *Snort*

Duff used to hoard things when he was a pup too. Once, when I was missing a sock, I looked in his cage and found a sock, a shoe, a paperclip, a ripped up notebook, and an unchewed dollar bill. Go figure, the dog has standards. :)