Saturday, October 07, 2006

The First 24

Well, Caleb and Lila have been home for 24 hours now. They spend most of their time in the kennel, but they come out once in a while when they are feeling brave. Or, when dad has egg to share. Caleb seems to be the braver of the two which was a surprise for both their foster mom "C" and myself. We thought Lila would be the first to venture.

They slept through the night. We brought their kennel up to our room so that they would be with the family.

As I type Caleb is coming out for another stretch and a visit.

This morning the hubster and I had to work in the garage to make way for our cars for winter. All the pups played outside in their fenced area. Caleb and Lila came out several times to sniff around and get some fresh air.

I made some promising progress with Caleb. He came up to see me and let me pet him. With these guys the littlest progress is thrilling.

We are confident that they will come around relatively quickly. They were very good with their foster mom. They followed her around and listened to her. She did a great job with them in starting to develop their trust in humans.

I talked with foster mom "C" today and she said that poor little Becca is a little lonely. Poor "C" spent part of the night on the floor with her. The dogs are so close to one another that I'm sure she felt a little abandoned. I think both "C" and I were so concerned about the trauma that Caleb and Lila would go through that we forgot about the one being left behind. But, she will always have "C" and several other puppies to play with. Once Caleb and Lila are stronger and braver we plan to let them get together for puppy play dates. I think it will be good for all of them to at least get to see each other once in a while.

So far so good. We don't expect miracles over night and we know that we have to take this slow and easy. But we are happy to have them here and it's a positive and educational focus for the hubster and I.

No comments: