Thursday, October 12, 2006

Baby's getting brave

We are just shy of our one week anniversary with the pups. They are doing better than I expected. They are willing to be out of their kennel more. Lila is quite the little collector. She LOVES to take shoes she finds around the house and gather them on her bed. Tonight she is trying out each piece of furniture in the living room to see which one is the best to lay on.

Caleb continues to make progress, but far more slowly. He was the first to come out to say hello but he's the slower in terms of trusting us. He spends more time in his kennel. I feel that it is too early to try to keep them away from their safety place. I don't want to rush them.

We have continued to make progress in terms of getting them to go outside and then come back in. They sometimes get very fearful and either hide and won't go out, or when they are out get very scared and won't come back in. They don't go anywhere, they just sort of freeze up. We have made progress in that if Lila is outside and freezes up and doesn't want to come in she will let me approach her, pick her up, and bring her in. Before she would dart away from me.

We do have to continue with the trips outside on an almost hourly basis. But that is okay. I don't mind.

Last night was the first time they slept through the night. Either that or I was so exhausted from this first week with them that I didn't hear them get up at their usual 2 am. In fact this morning they got up when the alarm went off. I took them outside but they didn't go potty. Then about an hour later when Max got up they went outside again with him and this time we had success! Is it sad that I get so excited when my puppies go potty?

Anyway, they are a joy to have. I can't believe how happy it makes me just to be able to pet them. And to get little Lila kisses.

I look forward to the days ahead when maybe Caleb won't cringe before he gets petted. I dont think he was ever hit when he was at the puppy mill. I think human contact was nill and that is why he is so fearful. I know he had a great relationship with his foster mom C so I know he will get there.

More to come.................

No comments: