Thursday, July 05, 2007

And Caleb is coming along

After spending two weeks with my parents staying in the house it seems like Caleb has made some positive progress. He seemed to have plateaued in his progress and wasn't getting any more social. But having two strangers living in the house forced him to come out of his shell a little bit. Add to that the fact that I pick him up just about every night and have him cuddle with me and we have a pup that has no choice but to get better.

He's more curious, he wants to be more a part of the family and he is far more aggressive in getting his share of love and pets. He doesn't let the other dogs push him out of the way as much as he used to.

Lily is just fantabulous. I took her with us to Doc's when we got our tattoo's and she proved to be quite the mommies girl. She knew exactly where mom was and wanted to be as close to me as she could. Even when the hubster took her for a walk around the neighborhood she knew exactly which house was Doc's and wanted very badly to come back and see me. She had never been in his neighborhood before but she sure knew where mom was. We found that particularly promising since one of our fears was that she would run and never come back. Now it would appear all she wants to do is run to mom. Yippee. That is SOOOOO good.

I also took her to my friend Girl J's house. She lives out in a small town in Wisconsin just over the MN border. She was all about mom. And just like Sophie she walked always looking up at me. When Lil Al tried to walk her she pulled to be up closer to me. So again Yay!

I am a little less afraid that if she got loose she would run.

So over all the dogs are doing better. We still have a long ways to go with Caleb but it seems like every day that goes by I feel better and better about his progress. And I probably don't give him enough credit in knowing who his mom and dad are and feeling safe with us. I am starting to believe that if it came down to it he would come back to us. We aren't in an ideal place yet and I still loose sleep over the thought of him getting loose. But we keep working at it, we keep doing everything we can to make him feel safer and we know we will get there.

No comments: