Monday, April 30, 2007

Springtime for puppies

The puppies are doing well. Lily is crazy. She's a silly little girl that loves to turn in circles when she is excited. We play a little game in the morning when we first get up and go outside. She loves for me to pick her up and toss her into the grass. Then she charges back to me and flips around in her circles. She will do this for hours if I am willing. And by toss, please know that I mean she gets picked up about 6 inches from the ground and plopped about a foot and a half from me. And she just loves it.

Caleb is making progress. Bless his little heart. He's coming around bit by bit. Over the weekend he was curled up on the middle cushion on the couch. Up until now he would always shy away, jump down and get away from us if we sat down on the couch. Sometimes if he was at the far end of the couch we might be able to sit down at the other far end but it was not a sure thing that he would stay. This weekend though he stayed even though I sat down right next to him. I couldn't believe it. And to top it off, I gave him a few seconds to adjust to me being near him and then I scratched his back near his tail. And he let me. And didn't jump down and go away. It was awesome. And a HUGE step forward for him.

He has also gotten far braver when it comes to coming back in the house. He used to be the last one in and we had to stand far away from the door. Now, he charges right in with the rest of the dogs no matter where we are standing. Again, this is huge progress for him. He is the love of our lives. And we will do what ever it takes to make him feel safe and loved.

The hubster and I got them an even bigger kennel over the weekend. Lily likes to really spread out when she sleeps so it didn't leave much room for Caleb. Now, they have a kennel big enough for a 200 lb. dog. They more than fit with lots of room to spare. So Lily can spread out all she wants and Caleb still has room to stretch. There new kennel is so big I had to make them new beds to fit. I think they like them. And Lily looks adorable snuggling inside. The bed is super cushy so she almost disappears in it when she cuddles up.

The other two dogs do very well with Lily and Caleb. Everyone gets along just wonderfully. Sophie and Caleb are often snuggled in a little puppy pile. We couldn't ask for a better house full of furry. And Socs our kitty is very much in love with Caleb. And Caleb with him. They love to snuggle. Caleb always loves to get Soc's to give him a bath. It's very cute.

No comments: